I have moved! Come see me on my new site!

UPDATE: My blog has moved! Come visit my new site -- www.VictorSchueller.com! I can't wait to see you there!

Monday, May 2, 2011

Unlimited!

I had a conversation the other week with someone who was telling me that while she liked her current occupation, she would love to carve out a career doing creative crafts and projects for other people.  She shared with me that she felt she couldn’t, because her husband was unemployed and in school, and she had to work until he completed his training and found a job.

If I heard this type of story once, I have heard it hundreds of times.  “I like what I do, but I would really like to (fill in the blank), but I can’t because of (fill in the blank).”  I have worked with many an individual who has told me that they can’t stand their job, and they are going to leave.  Years later, they are still working in the same place, and I am pretty certain they are still telling anyone who will listen to them the same old story.  Boy, talk about a miserable existence of embodying a victim mentality and playing not to lose!

Do you love what you do?  Do you love your work?  Do you work because you “have” to, or do you work because you “want” to?  Some people love their jobs, and they wouldn’t trade it for anything.  Some like their job, but would love to find a job doing something they love (usually a hobby or interest).  Still there are some, who don’t like their job, but feel there are no other options, or that it would be too much work or trouble (or fear) to find a new one.

If you find yourself in any category besides “I love my job and wouldn’t trade it for anything,” let me ask you – what’s holding you back?  What is limiting you?  Maybe a better question would be “Who is limiting you?”

You are in control of your future.  There are
no external limits -- only internal limits
that you impose on yourself.

Photo:artofdharma.org
There is no limit on what you can learn.  There are no limits on how much knowledge one can acquire.  There are absolutely no external limits.  If you find yourself unfulfilled with your job for whatever reason, ask yourself just one question…”How am I contributing to my unfulfillment?”  I want you to realize this is not a blame-seeking exercise – it is an exercise of accountability; an exercise of taking responsibility for your own fulfillment in life.

Once you identify how you are contributing to feeling unfulfilled, you have identified the “problem” you must solve.  Then, and only then, can you can you enter the most effective and empowering mode, which is the problem-solving mode.

You may realize that you really like where you are and what you do, but find yourself in the “I would be very happy if I could just do my job and not have to deal with everyone else’s garbage” camp.  Still, even if this is the case, you have to identify how you are responsible for and contributing to this, and how you will fix this problem.  If you are struggling with this, let me know and I will help get you pointed in the right direction.

I worked at a place where I was surrounded by miserable, unhappy people – uninspired and doing the same thing day in and out.  They kept telling me how much they hated the boss and how they were going to leave.  They never left (they are still there) – they were too comfortable and were playing not to lose.  I began looking at myself, and analyzing how fulfilled I was.  I realized that I was contributing to my unfulfillment simply by staying there, and started to pursue other career options.  Once I left, I liberated myself from that toxic environment, and enjoyed working somewhere I could continually push myself to be better every day, and not have to listen to miserable people anymore.

You would be surprised at how much inspiration and motivation you can muster once you realize that you are in control of your future.  Remember, you are the only one who can limit your potential.  Nobody has the ability to limit you but your own self.  Don’t stand in your own way of achieving success and fulfillment in whatever you do!  You can do whatever you want once you realize what it is you want to do, and what you can do about it!

This week, take time to assess how you feel about what you do.  Who is limiting you?  Are you a victim of your own self-imposed limitations, or are you full of limitless potential and endless possibilities?

Have a liberating week!

-Victor

No comments:

Post a Comment